Bananas are 19 cents a pound EVERY WEDNESDAY at the new Sunfest grocery store across from Holiday Hills on 76. Eli and Andy love bananas so I buy 5lbs a week. If I have leftovers I either peel and flash fleeze them, then store in a zip-loc for making shakes or I make banana cookies! These are delicious and healthy enough to eat for breakfast. We love them!
· 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
· 1/2 cup butter, softened
· 1 cup brown sugar, packed (I actually use about 1/3 cup, the bananas make it so sweet, without adding much sugar!)
· 2 eggs (the original recipe called for 4 egg whites and that was too much work for me!)
· 3 cups oats
· 2 tbsp. whole wheat flour
· 1/4 cup milk (a little less works too, depending on the consistancy of your bananas)
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
· 1/2 tsp. salt
· 1 tsp. vanilla
· 1/2 chocolate chips or nuts (if you wish-- I've made them plain, with nuts, or with choc. chips... they're good no matter what!)
· Mix first 3 ingredients together in a large bowl. Add egg whites and mix. Add remaining ingredients except nuts or chocolate chips. After dough (more like batter, really) is mixed, add nuts or chips.
· Batter will seem too liquid, but drop on cookie sheet by tablespoon anyway.
· Bake at 350 for approx. 12 minutes.