Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Blueberries Galore!

On Monday Andy, Eli, and I went to a farm in Lampe, MO to pick blueberries with our friend Sarah. Eli ate as many blueberries as he picked, including a couple that were green and not blue! Sarah picked about 3 pounds and we ended up with close to 7 pounds. The next question was what to do with hundreds of blueberries! The first thing I did was rinse and sort the berries, then take the stems off. I was consciense to remove the stems as I picked, but Andy and Eli were not. Eli just pulled berries off and Andy would pick whole bunches which was faster, but also meant I had unripe or overripe berries with stems. Then I froze a couple pounds by laying them out on a baking sheet in the freezer then putting them in a ziploc bag.


Here are some of our many berries! The next task was freezer jam. As with all homemaking tasks, this was new to me! I was excited at how easy it was to do and how delicious it was to eat! I just used the recipe from my Betty Crocker Cookbook. The basic recipe for freezer jam is about equal amounts of crushed fruit and sugar and a package of pectin mixed in.

Here are my berries in the midst of crushing...


After I added the sugar. It takes about 20 minutes to dissolve. Just stir every few minutes.

After the pectin was added, I stirred for a couple minutes.


My finished product! It takes up to a day to set up. I did one jar and the rest in tupperware-like containers. I am giving the jar to my daddy! He likes fresh jam! Freezer jam will keep for 3 weeks in the fridge and 6-12 months in the freezer.
We had toast with jam for breakfast this morning and it was wonderful! This recipe was a success!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Rachel! I am enjoying your blog! You are quite the little homemaker! Blueberry picking sounds like a lot of fun:) Eli is a cutie:)

    ReplyDelete