Saturday, June 20, 2009

Skillet Granola

This was my first attempt at making granola and I think it turned out well. This was a very simple recipe with ingredients I have on hand. Most granola recipes call for soaking oats and baking them. I cannot do this. The time it would take! This recipe from the University of Oregon took less than 30 minutes. I, of course, did not follow the recipe exactly, and I certainly did not measure most ingredients.


Ingredients:
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup powdered milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups uncooked, old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup sunflower seeds (I used chopped nuts instead)
1 cup raisins

Directions:
1. Warm oil and honey in a skillet for one minute over medium heat. Add
powdered milk and vanilla. (At this point I also added a few shakes if cinnamon)
2. Stir in oats and sunflower seeds and mix until coated with oil and
honey mixture. Heat over medium heat. Stir until oatmeal is slightly
brown. (I browned for about 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes)
3. Take off heat. Stir in raisins.
4. Cool mixture. Store in an airtight container (jar or plastic bag).


Oil and honey after it heated.After I added powdered milk, vanilla, and cinnamon.
Poured in oats, then mixed.
My finished product!

Cooling before I sealed it.
It tasted great. I think I will have it mixed with Cheerios for breakfast tomorrow. I also need to get yogurt and use my granola as a topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment