Friday, June 5, 2009

Cheap Dairy

Dairy items do not usually have coupons or amazing sales, but it is possible to get a good deal on these. One of Eli's favorite foods is yogurt. I would love to buy it for him, but at $.50 a serving it can get pricey. I tried once to make my own yogurt and was a failure. I plan to try again someday, but until I am successful at yogurt making I have found another option.

While at the grocery store, I check the expiration or sell by dates on the yogurt and pull the ones that expire that day or the next. When I check out I ask for a manager to mark them down. And every time they have! I usually find 4 or 5 containers each week, which makes my son and husband happy. Different managers mark different prices, but I ordinarily pay $.20-25 for each carton. I check each brand, but if one is on sale, they won't generally be expired.

This also works for other dairy products like milk, cream, etc. If you are not going to use them right now these can be frozen and used later for baking! I have frozen milk and butter milk to use in waffles and pancakes and whipping cream for alfredo sauce. Some stores will pull items close to expiring and mark them down, but if your store doesn't, just ask! I don't expect them to say yes, but I am glad they do!

No comments:

Post a Comment