Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Fitness Junkies

Eli with his 'weights' working out!  He loves it!
I am planning to run two 5ks in November.  I have NEVER done one before!  Therefore, I must train.  I have not really worked out in about 4 years.  Before I got pregnant with my first child.  That is not to say I did NOTHING for the last 4 years.  I walked at least three times a week and I teach swimming lessons and the occasional water aerobics class.  However, that is different than running for a half hour or doing an hour-long boot camp class with Monica at the YMCA.

When Eli started preschool two morning a week in late August, I decided I would go to the YMCA and workout.  Boot Camp was not my choice.  It just happened to be the class that was going on while I was there.  I love it.  We do a lot of it outside (where there are not mirrors for me to see how uncoordinated I am) and run up hills, do push ups on the ground, jump rope, and many other things in our circuit interval training.

It turns out, two days a week is not enough for me.  I am into exercise!  I had been running once or twice a week.  Still not enough.  Exercise videos are the answer!  I borrowed A LOT from my friend Kim.  I will be posting reviews and commentary on how they are going as I work my way through her collection.

If you have any recommendations, let me know.  I might work my way there!

4 comments:

  1. Jillian's 30 day shred is awesome. If I had the stamina, I would do it. It's definitely not something one can do if you've never worked out or haven't for a really long time, but I think you could do it no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitney, I have a review almost ready for that one! It is the first one I tried. It should be coming tomorrow. I do like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have slim in 6 DVDs, they're all about squats, lunges, stretches...there's three different levels to choose from and you keep moving the whole time with these also. When I did these DVDs back in the day I saw great results. You are free to borrow them if you like. Just to try something different I guess. I also have alot of pilates and yoga, but that's not really training DVDs for marathons lol, more about relaxation and focus and your core strength...which is helpful for alot more than just getting skinny.

    Good luck on your endeavor, I'm sure you will succeed! You are good about accomplishing things you put your mind to. And exercise is definitely addictive...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The slim in 6 sound fun. I have a pilates dvd which I did once. I was sore inside my thighs, but that was all. You don't even sweat in those! I think once a week for yoga or pilates is good. An hour of stretching would be beneficial!

    ReplyDelete