Monday, October 25, 2010

Markdown Specifics

If you missed it, you can read my tips for finding markdowns.

Here are some of the things I frequently find, the price I pay on average, and how I use them!


  • bagged salad- $1 -lunch for me for the next 2-3 days or added to that evening's dinner
  • yogurt- $.25 or less -snacks or breakfast for Andy or the kids.  Yogurt is generally good for 7 days past the sell-by date.  I usually get the bets deals on the multi-packs.
  • milk- $1/gallon -I get organic or chocolate!  Chocolate milk is a great snack or dessert, with white milk I usually bake a large batch of waffles or pancakes to freeze.
  • refrigerated salsa- $1 -lunch for me, snack for Andy and I, or side dish for mexican
  • whipping cream- $.50 -rich baking or alfredo sauce
  • bread- $2 or less -add to dinner
  • sub-style foot long sandwich- $3 -picnic lunch for the family!
  • juice- $.50 -take to morning Bible study for snacks
  • cookies, muffins, other desserts- $2 or less -snacks for groups like potlucks and Bible study.
This is a great way to add variety or add in foods that are normally too expensive!

Have you found any great markdown groceries?  What do you use them for?  Share your best tips!

4 comments:

  1. I normally shop markdowns too -- but this was a great reminder of ways to use the things I find! Sometimes I get into ruts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magen, what do you use your markdowns for? I love finding a good deal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, taken me way long respond!

    I do a lot of the same things as you...with the same price goals even. Bagged salad ($1), yogurt (.25)....

    I always wish I could find chocolate milk, but am never able to. And, I've always wanted to freeze waffles when I find almost expired milk, but for some reason, we always end up using it! Then, there are some times when we buy non-expired milk, and it sits around for a week half drank, then I forget to make waffles before it goes bad. So, needless to say, I've STILL never done it. But, some day!

    Some things I do buy that you didn't list are bananas when they get marked down (usually to 9-11 cents/pound). Then I freeze them so that my hubby can make banana bread out of them when the mood strikes.

    I also like buying the Wholly Guacamole when it's marked down, just for a snack...it can freeze well as well.

    Micah likes pita chips. They get marked down from time to time.

    And, last but not least, I force myself to buy different kinds of meat when they're on Manager's Special (say, under $2.50/lb) so that I can try new recipes.

    That's it, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My stores won't mark down wholly guac, they return it. :( Veggies and fruit are never marked down either. I don't know what they do with them, I should ask!
    I have bought meat some, but I don't really like meat, so I don't venture into cooking it. I should though. Pork is marked down often...

    ReplyDelete