Monday, March 1, 2010

Cloth Diapers: Part 1

I have been using cloth diapers for Carmody since she was just a few days old and I LOVE them! I want to share with you the kinds of diapers I use (yes, there are many kinds), what I like and don't like about them, how I wash them, using cloth away from home, and any other questions you may have.

I researched for HOURS and HOURS when I was pregnant. I read reviews and 'how to' guides. I scoured Craigslist to find good deals on used cloth diapers because the upfront cost of diapers is a little high.

Cloth diapers are no longer flats and prefolds, pins and plastic pants, although you can still use those. Diapers are modern! I'll tell you about the options out there.

All in Ones (AIO): These go on just like a disposable. They have a waterproof outer layer and an absorbent layer (cotton, bamboo, hemp, microfiber) sewn in. You fasten them with snaps or velcro.

Pockets: The waterproof outer layer snaps or velcros on and you stuff absorbency into the pocket. These can be customized to be more absorbent. They also dry faster than AIOs because they have 2 parts.

Fitteds: There is no waterproof layer with these and they need a cover. They are made of an absorbent, soft material like cotton, bamboo, hemp, etc. Fitteds fasten with snaps or velcro or can be just placed in the cover. They are shaped like a diaper.

Covers: These are made of a waterproof material like PUL (polyurithane laminate), wool, fleece, vinyl, etc. They are shaped like a diaper and go over fitteds or prefolds. Covers can have snaps, velcro, or pull on.

These are the main options, but there are variations within the catagories.

No comments:

Post a Comment